- Graduate of the University of Manitoba and Red River College.
- Over five years experience in newsroom setting as a writer, editor and layout specialist.
- Award-winning: 2013 Jack Matheson Memorial Award, Eric and Jack Wells Foundation Excellence in Journalism Award for First-Year Journalism, Best Content at the 2014 Creative Communications Magazine Fair.
- Experience in a public affairs/communications position with the government.
- Motivated young professional looking for next career opportunity.
- Strong communication, writing and editing skills.
- Capable of working independently or as part of a team.
- Multimedia specialist — photography, video, graphic design.
- Capable with Adobe CS: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, AfterEffects
- Very tech-savvy, comfortable using both PC and Mac.
- Strong grasp on how to effectively use social media to engage with an audience.
- Dependable, trustworthy and always willing to lend a helping hand to co-workers.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities.
December 2015 — Present, Wordshopped Canada / AndroidCentral.com, Winnipeg, MB
- Creating content for Mobile Nations websites including AndroidCentral.com, iMore.com and WindowsCentral.com.
- Editorial duties including prepping content for publishing and social media.
- Performed administrative duties for the Winnipeg team of writers.’
- Work samples — 1, 2, 3
Copy Editor Internship
June 2015 – August 2015, Winnipeg Free Press, Winnipeg, MB
- Accepted an intern summer copy editing position with the Free Press.
- Spent my days editing copy for print, writing headlines, using Newsway to rip pages to be printed and verifying content for the web.
- Scouring social media for potential story ideas/leads.
- Gained a sharper eye for grammar and clarity in writing, both as an editor and for my own writing.
- Worked full-time throughout the summer, rotating between day and night shifts.
- Also contributed an iOS app review.
Intern Sports Reporter
December 2014, Winnipeg Sun, Winnipeg, MB
- Completed a three-week internship the Sun for school credit.
- Covered local sports stories with photos and articles for print, video for website.
- Work samples: 1 2 3
October 2014 – April 2015, Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, Winnipeg, MB
- Supported media in press box, tracked team statistics/trends and transcribed post-game quotes for NHL.com and the Jets PR department.
June 2014 – October 2014, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Winnipeg, MB
- Acted as media liaison during training camp and practices.
- Contributed social media content.
- Wrote game stories and supported media in press box.
- Work samples: 1 2 3
April 2014 – March 2015, The Projector, Winnipeg, MB
- Joined the staff at the Red River College student newspaper as a layout editor.
- Contributed articles as assigned by section editors.
- Go through final copy edit of each issue with the Editor-in-chief.
- Lay out the bi-weekly paper and send files to printer.
March 2013 – Present, The Gradzette, Winnipeg, MB
- Prepare the monthly graduate studies magazine for publication online.
- Regular freelance contributor.
- Acted as interim-editor from March 2015 to present.
- Organized a team of freelance contributors.
- Collected story ideas and solicited graduate students interested in having their research profiled.
- Managed some of the business side of the magazine.
- Link to online archive.
June 2011 – April 2014, The Manitoban, Winnipeg, MB
- Spent three publishing years as the sports editor for the official student newspaper of the University of Manitoba.
- Responsible for coordinating and laying out three to five pages of content per issue.
- Contributed content to fill my own section, while volunteering to write for other sections of paper (News, Comment, Arts and Culture, Science Features).
- Was awarded Excellence in Journalism Award for First Year Journalism by the Eric and Jack Wells Foundation for my article “Student-athletes and Social Media: How Concerned Should Universities Be With What Athletes Post Online”, published in The Manitoban, Mar. 20, 2013.
- Learned to work with strict deadlines and assisted on production nights.
- Served on the editorial board for important decisions regarding controversial content.
- Served a term on the board of governors as a staff representative.
- Familiar with WordPress, InDesign, InCopy and Basecamp.
- Occasionally produced multimedia to accompany my feature writing.
- Hosted and edited the “Toban News Desk” radio show and podcast from 2012-13 on 101.5 UMFM.
Unit Public Affairs Representative (UPAR)
June 2013 – August 2013, Department of National Defence, Cold Lake Air Cadet Summer Training Centre (CLACSTC), 4 Wing Cold Lake, AB
- Brought in early to help set up support materials for all Northwest region UPARs.
- Assisted during UPAR training period.
- Responsible for creating media campaign for the CLACSTC, including:
- Reporting to the commanding officer directly and participating in meetings with CLACSTC group leaders.
- Managing the Centre’s website and social media pages, with a specific target audience (cadets’ friends and family).
- Acting as the media liaison for the centre.
- Taking photos and videos for distribution through social media and photo share sites
- Supporting CLACSTC operations in various capacities: Coordinating and producing identification badges for all staff and cadets, Designing and producing promotional materials for the CSTC and laying out graduation programs and creating framed gift for special guests.
Creative Communications – Journalism Major
Red River College (FALL 2013 – SPRING 2015)
- Two-year communications program that focuses on journalism, advertising, media relations and audio/video production.
- Was awarded the Jack Matheson Memorial Award, presented to a post-secondary student from Manitoba who demonstrates an interest in a career in sports writing, sports broadcasting, sports production or sports public relations.
- Won “Best Content” at 2014 CreComm Magazine Fair for Paint Eater Magazine.
- Co-directed the 2015 Winnipeg Humane Society telethon on Shaw TV.
Film Studies Major/English Minor
University of Manitoba (FALL 2009 – SPRING 2013)
- Enrolled at the University of Manitoba for four years.
- Volunteered at 101.5 UMFM and at The Manitoban, before eventually getting hired on at the Toban as sports reporter, later sports editor.
- Received my General BA degree with a Film Studies major, English minor.
2015: Winnipeg Comedy Festival, Volunteer
2013-14: Red River Radio, Volunteer
2012-13: 101.5 UMFM, Volunteer
2010-11: Winnipeg Folk Festival, Volunteer
2009-10: The Manitoban, Volunteer staff